ANMF (Vic Branch) is receiving weekly reports from nurse and midwife members who are upset and angry that they are unable to provide the high standard of care patients deserve because they are pressed to meet budget-driven targets without adequate resources.
Examples outlined to ANMF include:
- seriously unwell patients being discharged from hospital to meet targets
- patients having to use public toilets
- inappropriate discharge from ED to a ward/unit
- patients being nursed in unsafe areas
- nurses and midwives being told to not report clinical care risk.
ANMF (Vic Branch) has set up separate surveys for nurses and midwives, and the public, to tell us about care concerns so we can advocate for change on members’ and patients’ behalf. We are urging members who have concerns about budget-driven targets influencing sub-standard patient care to outline your care concerns in the survey provided. ANMF (Vic Branch) will use your stories to illustrate what is happening in our hospitals and healthcare facilities and advocate for change.